Monday, May 17, 2010

Civil War in Bankok?


I think everyone is aware that there is great violence occuring in Thailand at the moment.

The problem is this. There are the "Red Shirts", who are the anti-government protestors, calling for Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to call new elections to support former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Therefore there are violent protests that are held out all over Bangkok, and thousands of people have died because of it. Both sides (Red Shirts vs. Government) aren't showing any signs of giving up at all, with continuing sounds of gunshots and smoke, filling the air of the streets. Apparently there are many places shut down to ensure the safety of the public. The government had ordered schools, offices, shopping centers, and embassies to be closed down temporarily.

I don't know the descriptive story of this event, however, seeing the numbers of people dying innocently is just making me frustrated. My Thai friend, Lace, also seems angry everyday, telling me that the president should do something about it. I heard that the president and the government aren't taking any actions to this mess, and don't seem to try and improve it. They are only providing security and showing patience for the violence to calm down. I don't really know how this will make things any better, but I'm hoping the government knows what they are doing.

Many of the Thai people are trying to evacuate from Bangkok to get away from the incredible mess. My dad even told me that there is a possible chance that Thailand will have a civil war. It's really weird for me to hear this because I always imagined Thailand as a peaceful place. I just hope that everything will settle as soon as possible, and that the people who have died will rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment