Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Goodbye highschool...

I would like to summarize my last post with a reflection of the Grade 12 English Class. This year, we had read four novels; "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Stranger" by Albert Camus, "Waiting for Godot" by Samuel Beckett, "The Crucible" by Arthur Miller, and "Hole in My Life" by Jack Gantos. The books we had read this year was very different to the books I had read in previous years. This years books are more cold, emotional, and soulless.

The most interesting and motivating book was "Hole in My Life" by Jack Gantos. The reason is because his life was so surreal and it was simply easy to read. "The Great Gatsby" wasn't bad either. Although I thought Jay Gatsby was a pretty sad man who had no life, the story line was entertaining. I also didn't mind "The Crucible", only the fact that the words were so small to read from. Since it's based on a real story back in the 1692, (and since I think history books are quite interesting) I thought it was beneficial for my education.

However, I had some that I didn't like. I couldn't understand "Waiting for Godot". As I was reading it, I didn't feel like it had any motives and emotion in its story. Well, I guess since it's theme is that there is no meaning in life, the story is suppose to make the reader believe in it. But no matter how hard I tried to read it, it didn't make me want to read more. "The Stranger" again, was pretty similar to "Waiting for Godot", but more realistic. As I was reading it, I was actually feeling some emotion inside me; fear, sadness, shock, etc.

Overall, I was really REALLY REALLY happy that I was in Ms. Collins' class because thanks to her, we were able to have a bright and fun class that I would never forget! Studying in English class became more motivating thanks to Ms. Collins. Sorry for being such annoying students at times... Thank you for teaching us this year:)

No comments:

Post a Comment